- Bachelor of Architecture,
University of Texas
- Registered Architect, New York
- Registered Architect, Texas
- American Institute of Architects, College of Fellows
- International Interior Design Association, College of Fellows
Awards and Citations
- Lifetime Appointment, U.S. General Services Administration, National Register of Peer Professionals, Design Excellence
- Women in Design Hall of Fame, Inaugural Member, 2006
- Hall of Fame, Interior Design, 1997
- Designer of the Year, Interiors Magazine, 1994
Lauren Rottet, FAIA, FIIDA
Lauren Rottet is one of the most-celebrated interior architects today with an extraordinary record of awards, publications, lectures, juries and honors. Ms. Rottet recently became the only woman in history to be elevated to Fellow by both the American Institute of Architects and International Interior Design Association. She also holds the coveted titles of Interior Design Hall of Fame, Interiors (now Contract) Designer of the Year, and Lifetime Appointee to the U.S. General Services Administration’s National Register of Peer Professionals for Design Excellence. In 2006, Rottet was inducted as an Inaugural Member of the Women in Design Hall of Fame. She served as Juror for the 2010 Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award. Ms. Rottet’s furniture and product designs have earned her four gold medals for Best of NeoCon and a Chicago Athenaeum Award.
After spending her first two years at the University of Texas in a dual major of Art and Pre-Med, Ms. Rottet transferred to Architecture and graduated with highest honors two years later. Her drive to study major American cities took her first to San Francisco, where she practiced with the accomplished residential design firm of Fisher Friedman Associates. Ms. Rottet soon relocated to Chicago to join Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and focus on high-rise office design. Her work with Skidmore took her back to her native Texas where she was Senior Designer on several major high-rise buildings, museums and planning projects. When the building boom stopped in the early 1980’s, Rottet focused her creative energies on interiors. Several years later, Skidmore asked her to move to Los Angeles to begin their interiors practice. After successfully building that practice, Ms. Rottet and several Skidmore partners joined forces to create the architecture and interiors firm, Keating Mann Jernigan Rottet. After expanding from a staff of six to sixty in only four years, the partners joined Daniel, Mann, Johnson, & Mendenhall (DMJM) in 1994 to further expand their growing practice. Ms. Rottet was Principal-in-Charge of the interiors practice, DMJM Rottet, for fourteen years. In 2008, she left DMJM to form the privately-held, WBE-certified, Rottet Studio with a team of architects and designers she has worked with for as many as 25 years.
Ms. Rottet finds the design of the interior environment particularly challenging and satisfying, combining psychology, theater, art, and architecture with the use of unlimited media. Ms. Rottet’s distinct design approach, characterized by precise detail and architecturally-driven solutions, reflects her 25 years of professional practice, as well as a commitment to improve the human experience through the built environment.
Among her colleagues, Ms. Rottet is known as an innovator and teacher, devoting significant time to the education of her staff and to the advancement of the profession. Under her direction, the AIA Interiors Committee has not only become a major force in fundraising for the advancement or the profession, but has established a significant scholarship program for students in interior architecture. Ms. Rottet is an active member of IIDA and is a Board Member of the Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston.
Select Awards and Publications
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA), College of Fellows: Lauren Rottet, 2011.
- IIDA / Northern California Honor Award and Best in Show Award, The Surrey Hotel, 2011.
- AIA / Houston Honor Awards, Mattel Design Center and Bernhardt Design Showroom, 2011.
- “Beverly Hills Hideaway,” Hospitality Design, March 2011.
- “ Lauren Rottet and Richard Riveire,” by Jenn Kennedy, Success by Design, 2011.
- Best Lounge/Bar and Best Suite, Gold Key Hospitality
- Design Excellence Awards, The Surrey Hotel, 2010.
- Paper City Design Excellence Award for Office Design, First Prize, Artis Capital, 2010.
- Interior Design Best of Year Finalist, The Surrey Hotel, 2010.
- IIDA Texas / Oklahoma Chapter Design Awards, Global Management Consulting Firm, Mattel Design Center, 2010.
- “Babes in Toyland. Work and play merge at Rottet Studio’s Mattel facility in Los Angeles,” by Edie Cohen, Interior Design, May 2010.
- “Who’s Surrey Now? Lauren Rottet makes an old Manhattan building new again,” by Michael Adams, Hospitality Design, March 2010.
- “The Surrey with the Fringe on Top: All the world will fly in a flurry to New York’s spiffed-up Surrey hotel by Lauren Rottet,” by Nicholas Tamarin, Interior Design, February 2010.
- AIA / Houston Honor Awards, Gulf South Pipeline and Artis Capital Management, 2010.
- Interior Design Best of Year Award, Artis Capital Management, 2009.
- “Hole in One: Rottet Studio aces a MidFirst Bank office in Arizona’s golf capital, Scottsdale,” by Edie Cohen, Interior Design, Number 12, 2009.
- “Rottet Studio: Still Smokin’,” Office Insight, April 20, 2009.
IIDA / Texas - Oklahoma Honor Award, Artis Capital Management, 2009.
- “Investing in Creativity: boom or bust, a San Francisco office by Rottet Studio proves just how highly Artis values art and design,” by Edie Cohen, Interior Design, Number 3, 2009.
- “Rottet Studio scales down the Bernhardt Design Showroom with infinite serenity,” by David Sokol, Architectural Record, March 2009.
- “Furnishing a home office on a budget,” by David Keeps, Los Angeles Times, March 7, 2009.
- AIA / Houston Honor Award, A Global Management Consulting Firm, 2009.
- Corporate Interiors No. 9, by Roger Yee, Paul Hastings: New York, London, Paris, Shanghai / Investment Management Firm / Global Management Consulting Firm, 2009.
- IIDA / Northern California Honor Award, Artis Capital Management, 2009.
- Solutia “Doc” Award, A Global Management Consulting Firm, 2008.
- Interior Design Best of Year Finalist, Paul Hastings: Paris, 2008.
- Paper City Design Excellence Award for Office Design, First, Second, and Third Prizes, 2008.
- “U.S. Slowdown Pushes Local Businesses to Take a Global View,” by Jenalia Moreno, Houston Chronicle, October 2008.
- “International Law: Lauren Rottet crosses continents and oceans to design outpost for Paul Hastings,” by Edie Cohen, Interior Design, May 2008.
- AIA / Los Angeles Presidential Honoree, Building Team of The Year, California Endowment, 2007.
- Texas Society of Architects Design Award, Royal Bank of Scotland, 2007.
- “Office Buildings: Social Sustainability,” by Russell Fortmeyer, Architectural Record, January 2007.
AIA / Houston Merit Award, Lime Rock Management, 2007.
Interior Design Best Of Year Finalist, Lime Rock Management, 2006.
- AIA National Honor Award For Interior Architecture, The Royal Bank of Scotland, 2006.
- Solutia “Doc” Award, The Royal Bank of Scotland, 2006.
- “Distinguished Design: DMJM Rottet says its interiors act as a reflection of clients’ businesses,” by Alan Dorich, Furniture & Interiors, Spring 2006.
- Interior Design Giants, 2006, 2003.
- Women in Design Hall of Fame: Lauren Rottet, Inaugural Member, 2006.
- AIA / Houston Honor Award, The Royal Bank of Scotland, 2005.
- ASID Commercial Office Design, First Place, The Royal Bank of Scotland, 2005.
- Architectural Record Commercial Award of Merit, The Royal Bank of Scotland, 2005.
- Prism Stone In Architecture Commercial Award of Merit, The Royal Bank of Scotland, 2005.
- Paper City Design Excellence Award for Office Design, The Royal Bank of Scotland, 2005.
- “Financial Statement / Fashion Statement,” by Edie Cohen, Interior Design, October 2005.
- “Five Questions with Lauren Rottet, Interior Architect makes offices more than boxes,” by Nancy Sarnoff, Houston Chronicle, April 2005.
- “Houston Coup: renowned architect makes designs on downtown Houston,” Urban Update, July 2005.
- Los Angeles Business Council Architecture Award, Paul Hastings / Los Angeles, 2004.
- Design Journal Gold Apex Design Award, Abacus Casegoods, 2004.
- The Chicago Athenaeum Good Design Award, Abacus Casegoods, 2004.
- Solutia “Doc” Award, Paul Hastings / New York, 2004.
- “Wonder Twin Powers Collaborate: Form of Ray Brochstein, Shape of Lauren Rottet,” by Mark Sullivan, Brilliant, August 2004.
- “Architect + Artist,” by Diane Calmenson, Interiors+Sources, 2004 (cover).
- “California Cool, Rottet Redefines Thelen, Reid & Priest’s Corporate Image,” by Diana Mosher, Contract, May 2004.
- Best of NeoCon Gold Award, Shift Casegoods, 2003.
- Solutia “Doc” Award, Vanco Energy, 2003.
- “Legally Blond: pale perfection characterizes the public space that DMJM Rottet designed for Paul Hastings in Los Angeles,” by Edie Cohen, Interior Design, May 2003.
- “Discovery Zone, Vanco Energy’s Houston headquarters tells a story of deepwater oil exploration,” by Diana Mosher, Contract, May 2003
- “Best Large Office: Korea Development Bank,” by Jean Nayar, Contract, January 2003.
- Corporate Interiors No. 4, by Roger Yee. 2003 (cover).
“Breaking Tradition: Law Firm Paul Hastings’ Offices In New York and Los Angeles Serve As Models For Innovation,” by Stacy Corso, Globest.com, May 2003.
- AIA / Houston Merit Award, Paul Hastings, 2002.
- AIA / Houston Merit Award, BENCH Software, 2002.
- AIA / Houston Merit Award, BMC Software Headquarters, 2002.
- AIA / Houston Honor Award, DMJM Rottet Houston Studio, 2002.
- Contract Magazine Best Large Office, Korea Development Bank, 2002.
- “Houston Homecoming: Lauren Rottet expands her Los Angeles operation, opening an office in her native Texas,” by Edie Cohen, Interior Design, May 2002.
- Contract Magazine Best Large Office, BMC Software Headquarters, 2002.
- “A Space Odyssey,” by Margaret Daisley, The American Lawyer, June 2001.
- “Defining a Corporate Culture: DMJM creates a campus for BMC in Houston,” LA Architect, December 2001.
- “High Tech, Soft Touch: BMC Software Campus,” by Jennifer Andrade, Grid, November 2001.
- “Sophisticated Texture: Oaktree Capital,” by Danette Riddle, LA Architect, January 2001.
- Legacy Award, BMC Software Headquarters, 2000.
- Rice Design Alliance Design Excellence Award, BMC Software Headquarters, 2000.
- “The Substance of Style: Lauren Rottet,” by Lauren Rottet and Mayer Rus, Edizioni Press, 2000.
- DuPont Antron Design Award, Steelcase Wood Furniture Showroom, 2000 and 1999.
- Architecture Firm of the Year: DMJM, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2000.
- “Women Designers in the USA, 1900 - 2000: Diversity & Difference,” by Judith Gura, Yale University Press, 2000.
- NeoCon Award for Creative Excellence, Steelcase Wood Furniture Showroom, 1999.
- NeoCon Award for Creative Excellence, Bernhardt Design Showroom, 1998.
- AIA / Los Angeles Honor Award, The Capital Group Companies and Houston Industries, 1997.
- Interior Design Hall of Fame: Lauren Rottet, 1997.